October 7, 2015

Gay child speaks up

                                     HB3
“Many of us are too scared to speak up…” 
The Federalist recently published an an open letter to the homosexual community, written by Heather Barwick, a 31-year-old mother of four who was raised by a lesbian couple.
“I’m writing to you because I’m letting myself out of the closet: I don’t support gay marriage. But it might not be for the reasons that you think.”


 

Barwick reveals the pain of not having a father. “It’s only now, as I watch my children loving and being loved by their father each day, that I see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.”
She makes it clear that there is significant pressure brought to bear on children of gays: “Many of us are too scared to speak up and tell you about our hurt and pain, because for whatever reason it feels like you’re not listening. That you don’t want to hear. If we say we are hurting because we were raised by same-sex parents, we are either ignored or labeled a hater.”
 

Norvell Rose of Western Journalism notes that Barwick came to see the beauty of traditional marriage after becoming a Christian. It was then that she was able find healing for the absence of a father: “It really wasn’t until I came to Christ that I felt that burden lifted off of me.”
 

You can read the full letter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment